Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM

When I transferred to Arkansas with Maybelline in 1996, I would venture over to Lonoke, Arkansas to do some of my shopping for non-grocery items at the Wal*Mart store in that town.

The store was small & very old. It was probably one of the "original" stores ... when Wal*Mart was just a regional chain of stores. I often felt I might see Sam Walton himself walking the narrow isles.

The "big" Wal*Mart at that time, was over in West Little Rock. I went there a couple times but it was just too far away to be practical for me. I stuck with the Lonoke store & did most of my grocery shopping at local Kroger's or Harvest Foods.

I'm sure everyone reading this is well aware of how much Wal*Mart has expanded through out the world. In the United States they seem to now have stores everywhere. As time went on , I had more Wal*Mart stores opening up in my area to choose from ... all of them "super stores"; meaning they sold groceries as well.

As more Wal*Mart's opened, I started going to new stores in Jacksonville & Cabot, Arkansas to shop. [The one in Cabot got so popular & busy for that town, Wal*Mart built a newer, bigger store on the land next to the original store. They closed the old one & moved next door.]

A super store was built & opened in North Little Rock -- finally !! Of all the locations, this one is the closest to me in distance ... about 10 miles. It's also the Wal*Mart store I don't care to shop at.

I've never been pleased with the N.L.R. store. It always seemed a bit "messy" & the shelves poorly stocked. They refurbished & re-did the store less than a year ago, but the cosmetic changes didn't do much to change my opinion of the store.

The nicest Wal*Mart store is a new one in Sherwood, Arkansas; just the other side of the North Little Rock city line. It's big, clean, well stocked & just a few more miles for me to drive to shop at.

And now ... a NEW Wal*Mart store has opened ... in Lonoke !!!

I knew there were plans to close the old store. Either that, or turn it into a Wal*Mart museum. It really was that old.


WAL*MART -- LONOKE, ARKANSAS

The new store is across Interstate-40 from Lonoke proper, & while not a "super store", it has an excellent grocery selection & just about everything I would want & need at Wal*Mart. It''s about three times bigger than the old store. I've been to the store several times now & have been pleased each time with what I find.

It's going to be a long time before I want/need to go to the N.L.R. store again. I really don't know why that store has such a negative effect on me. I want to think ALL Wal*Mart stores would be maintained the same way. Not so.

I'm going to continue shopping at the Lonoke, Arkansas store. I'll still keep my eyes open for Sam Walton.

No comments:

Post a Comment