Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

BLAME THE GROUNDHOG

I guess when the giant rat in Pennsylvania got pulled out of his house last week, he went over board when it comes to giving us six more weeks of Winter. Here in Arkansas, we've got a bad case of ... "THE WHITES".

The temperature got down into the twenty's last night, so all the "slush" from yesterday froze. Also, the snow, which was mixed with rain, has crusted over with a sheet of glaze. It's noisy walking on that stuff.

For the first time in about a week, the sun has been shinning. In fact, we've been blessed with a bright blue sky. Despite the temperature still being below freezing, areas on the road are starting to melt & clear off a bit. Without the sun -- or when it gets dark -- re-freezing occurs & the melting process stops. The roads will really have to clear before I'll attempt to drive.

I walked my property earlier today: to evaluate "damages" to the trees & check the flow of water in the creek. Some areas of my land -- where it will "flood" when there is a heavy rain -- are holding water ... with a layer of ice & snow above it.

I'm concerned about my pine trees & other evergreens. The Leyland Cypress in the photo have their normally upright branches hanging DOWN due to the ice & snow. I am hoping the branches will return to normal when it warms up. It will be a major problem -- & a cosmetic one -- if the tree limbs are damaged or broken.

At various times this A.M., all three cats have gone outside. As long as the snow has that crisp, crust to it, the girls can walk on top of the snow. Yesterday it was too wet, both from the snow itself, as well as the steady rain we had at times, so they spent just about all the day indoors. I am sure it was "torture" for them to sit in the windows & watch all the activity at the bird feeders. So close ... yet ... so far.

I limited my time outdoors yesterday. I did check for the newspaper several times. I never got it, nor has one been delivered today. It's proving my theory that I don't really need the paper, since I can get all the same "news" via the TV & Internet ... usually about 24 hours before the newspaper "repeats" the news.

The mail did come yesterday, but not till about 2:30. I'm still "missing" two USA Today newspapers, but I did get a letter from Hilda [Mom].

I had to get the extension ladder from the storage building & go up to the roof to get the snow/slush off the satellite dish. The dish has to be clear to receive signals. If not, the TV screen will indicate it is "searching" for the signal, similar to when there is a heavy downpour of rain.

Each time I went outside, I would throw more bird seed on the ground under the bird feeders. The activity around all the feeders has been hectic, an indication of the fact that the snow is interfering with the birds getting to their "normal" food sources. Or ... they just invited a lot of their friends for dinner.

I'm going to go out shortly & refill all the bird feeders. It's cold today, but at least I'll stay dry. Yesterday, there was the combination -- depending on when I was out -- of wet snow and/or rain. It was a "cold-foot-day", along with the fact I had a wet jacket, pants & gloves to dry off each time I was out in the elements.

I just looked out the window & I can see the feeders have really been abused & are getting empty. I'm sure it helps to toss those hand fulls of seeds on the ground. There are just not enough feeding "stations" for the number of bird "visitors" I have.

Time to conclude these observations, cuss the groundhog once again & get outside to feed my feathered friends.

1 comment:

  1. Je suis un étudiant de change française rester avec une famille près de par mon collège de Bryn Mawr en Pennsylvanie. Partie de mes études pour en savoir plus de la culture américaine était lectures suggérées de 'blogs américain typique'. Sont ces choses à dire de constitué ? C'est une vie très morbide et sombre présentée dans les mots et les photographies. Les lectures sont plus ternes comme l'étiquette d'une bouteille d'eau. De nombreux autres blogs afficher vie dynamique et indications d'enrichir des compagnons.

    ReplyDelete