Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, November 22, 2009

MEOWATHON -- 2009

Saturday, November 21, 2009 was a full day of activities, starting at 2:30 A.M. & lasting until almost six P.M. In that time I drove about 320 miles, ran 3.2 miles & added around $130.00 to my Visa Card. I also had a delicious lunch & got to share a few hours of quality time with close friends I see too seldom.

Yesterday was the annual MEOWATHON 5K run in Memphis, Tennessee. All proceeds & money raised goes to support the non-profit House of Mews in Memphis. The H.O.M. is a feline rescue & adoption agency which I support. [http://www.houseofmews.com/]

I pulled out of my driveway at 5:30 A.M. & headed to Memphis on Interstate 40. I hate the drive over -- & back -- no doubt due to the several years I commuted weekly from home to Memphis. It is a long straight drive, with too many big rig trucks all having to be some place soon.

I got to Overton Park in Memphis at 8 A.M. The race -- 3.2 miles -- began at 9 A.M. I was done 29 minutes & 28 seconds later. I ran the race last year in 31:01. I wanted to beat 30 minutes time this year ... & I did. Now I need to improve my time as much again for next years MEOWATHON.

There were several hundred runners this year -- the largest group ever. I finished #62, but not fast enough to beat several others in my age group who were medal winners. That is another reason to be speedier next year. Go for the gold ... silver ... heck, I'll take bronze.

Among the activities taking place was a "silent auction". I was able to get a signed copy of the book Homer's Odyssey donated from the author Gwen Cooper to add to the auction. ["Homer" is the story of Gwen's cat, blind, but not limited, all his life. http://www.gwencooper.com ] The high bid was $40.00, which is double the list price & money going to a good cause.

On my way to lunch -- out in Germantown, Tennessee -- I stopped at two of my favorite retail locations & places I try to visit each time I am in Memphis -- Art Center Supply & Davis Kidd Booksellers. I dropped coin in both stores ... as expected.

Mosa Asian Bistro [http://mosaasianbistro.com] was the lunch location & worth the entire trip for both the food & friendship shared with my Tennessee friends -- Sharon & Marty McPherson of Cordova & Kathy Ray of Buchanan. [Kathy's husband, Larry, was down in South Alabama fishing & missed a good time & great meal. Next time, Larry.]

The drive home was hindered by the forever on-going road construction in West Memphis, Arkansas. [Yes ... for those unaware, there is such a place, across the Mississippi river, in my state.] Driving over earlier in the morning I did not have any problems with the repair work. That was not the story in the late afternoon. Traffic was backed up at least 10 miles -- well into Memphis.

NOTE TO DRIVERS GOING EAST/WEST ON INTERSTATE 40 THROUGH WEST MEMPHIS, ARKANSAS: Don't !

I managed to get out of the traffic back-up near St. Jude Hospital, cut across town & drive the "old bridge" [I-55] to Arkansas. There, I drove through the main part of West Memphis, which has an old, crumbling & deserted feel to it. Kind of sad. Later I got back on I-40 & fought the heavy traffic, many trucks & the setting sun in my eyes as I drove onward. My cat, Nibblets came to greet me as I got home. She spent the day outside. The other two, Precious & Wobs, had the easy day ... inside.

I did not run this morning as part of my daily exercises. But then, I don't run on Sundays. I always walk & try to enjoy the day & the country feel. Plus, today my legs were a bit sore. Getting too old, I know.

Tomorrow I start getting ready for next year's MEOWATHON in Memphis, when I will do it again ... with shopping, food & friends, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment