Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, November 13, 2009

FALL IS FALLING

Here it is mid-November & the cold weather still has not arrived. In some years, by Halloween, we will have had a frost. Not this year. So far, a "cold" night is in the mid-40's. The day temperatures are still hitting 70's. I like it ... a lot.

Despite the temperatures not seeming Fall-like -- Global Warming ?? -- the trees have been shedding their leaves, mostly on schedule. There are some trees -- Bradford Pears -- which are still green. Other trees -- the Hickory Tree in the front yard -- have lost ALL their leaves.

When it came time to look for a home in the Little Rock area 13-plus years ago as part of my job transfer from Memphis, I remember telling the real estate agent ... "I would like a place with a lot of land". No more townhouse living for me.

Well, be careful what you ask for. I got my "land" -- four acres. Along with the land -- which requires MAJOR of grass cutting -- I also have a lot of full grown trees. Mostly Maples, Oaks & other hardwoods. Every year I have added additional plantings. There are probably 50 or more trees on my property. Some day I will count them.

One thing I could never count are the number of LEAVES which come down to earth each Fall. About a third of my property takes on the look of a thick, brown carpet, where green grass would be. When I asked for a home "... with land ..." I failed to consider the "leaf factor". Another thing to remember when home buying in the Summer time.

So ... I am enjoying this unseasonable weather by doing the outdoor activity I do each year -- leaf raking, hauling & BURNING. It may not be the most environment friendly thing to do -- forgive me Al Gore -- but I am not going to send leaves to a land fill in big plastic bags like some people. I "mulch" a lot of the leaves with my mower. Some I compost. And a few billion/trillion/gazillion get burned.

Burn, Baby ... Burn

I'll be raking & burning from now through February, depending on the weather. Rain of course slows down the process. Wet leaves don't burn. I always need a few follow-up days of dry weather to re-start the raking/burning. A nice breeze helps to speed up the drying process.

I don't know how much "exercise" I get from this yearly experience. There is a lot of bending, pulling & pushing, steering the wheelbarrow around & general back-&-forth activity. When I am finished for the day, a warm shower sure feels good. The shower also removes my Smokey Bear smell too.

No comments:

Post a Comment