Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

DOUBLE-PLAID ... LIKE MY DAD

When my Father was alive, he often wore some strange mix & match clothing styles. Not that my Dad didn't know how to dress "properly" -- he had his work clothes & ties matched-up -- but when it came to casual clothes, I think my Dad let comfort come first ... rather than style.

One way my Father had of dressing himself was the "Clown Look" -- double, non-matching plaid shirts & plaid pants/shorts. All he needed was a pair of huge shoes & some face paint -- don't forget the red nose -- & the circus would have snatched him up. He always said it didn't matter what he wore, it was just going to get dirty. Plus, he liked to say -- "Nobody will see me anyway" -- as we stood their mocking him out for his double-plaid outfit.

In my days in the business world, I was always very careful of my own personal "dress code". I had to have the correct color shirt, pants & corresponding tie. Shoes too, had to fit the look. I had hundreds of nice, silk ties which I would cycle in such a way to make it appear I was always wearing a NEW tie. "Mr. GQ".

Years back, when "business casual" became standard & all those tie racks in my closet came down & the ties themselves got put away into big plastic boxes -- where they still are -- I was still careful with my clothing selection for work. The key was to be careful of the shirt "rotation" & the color pants matched with each wearing. Again, it kept the look ... "new".

I did have a lot of plaid shirts to wear to work. [Still have those in the closet also, but fewer each year as I make donations of clothes to Goodwill. Tax deduction, ya know.] Again, the rotation of the shirts was critical, but the multi-colors allowed for some good match-ups with the pants.

Well, once I quit working & stayed home most days, I started getting a bit lax about MY clothing selection. I had gained weight & clothes for around the house were chosen for ... "comfort". Even after my heart surgery & subsequent life style changes, the weight loss did not affect my liking of "comfortable clothes". Heck. No one was going to see me, & the clothes -- working in the yard -- were just going to get dirty anyway.

WAIT !!! Where had I heard that said before ?? Then it dawned on me. I was starting to dress like my Father. The apple was falling closer to the tree.

One of my favorite ways to dress around the house -- I would NOT go out in public like this ... well, hardly -- is a plaid flannel shirt & plaid "house pants". Comfortable.

The flannel shirts are actually worn almost year round ... for "protection". The shirts combat ... cat claws. "The Girls" like to lay in my lap, purring & "making biscuits" -- as my Vet Tech calls it -- with their paws & claws. OUCH !! The extra layer of flannel shirt helps avoid scratches & pain. My pain.

THE PANTS ?? I never can find these in solid colors. Always plaid. I guess the "house pants" are really pajamas. Whatever. Who's going to see me ?? They will just get dirty.

So here I am, sitting on the bed, wearing an example of MY double-plaid, believing I hear Wobs & Nibblets... laughing at ME now. As long as there are NO big shoes & make-up, I guess I am safe from the circus recruiters.

Besides ... I'm comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment