Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, April 8, 2012

BIGGER ... BIG BAMBOO

The warmer than normal, earlier than normal weather this year has affected ALL the bamboo growth on my property/ "bamboo farm".  The early Spring has advanced the annual bamboo growing season by several weeks. Since Spring is the time of year when over 90% of NEW bamboo growth occurs, I am seeing some impressive bamboo growth much sooner than ... ah ... "normal".

The above photo shows some of the new growth occurring in one of my groves of Phyllostachys Vivax. [Remember, most bamboo's do NOT have a "common name".]  This species grows about 50 feet high in my garden & the large, rapid & colorful new growth is highly anticipated each Spring. That growth just came a bit earlier for me this year.

2 comments:

  1. What a picture! The growth of the bamboo is amazing. I thoroughly enjoy the pictures and information you share. Was out of town and unable to respond, but I saw and read your post with my - yes, phone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be adding a lot of posts regarding bamboo lately. It's the growing season now for bamboo & the fresh colors they bring to the landscape are a blessing.

    I am sure your years living in Hawaii are the major reason for your appreciation of bamboo. I gained mine originally in Colombia, S.A.

    ReplyDelete