Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, April 14, 2012

SOME SMALLER BAMBOO

While many times on this blog I have featured the various larger sizes of bamboo I grow here in Central Arkansas, I have several other species of bamboo which in no way are as majestic as my "giants", but still offer me the grace, color & enjoyment all bamboo provides me.

The photo below -- which includes my sweet "Momma Kitty", PRECIOUS -- is a bamboo species called SASA PALMATA.  As you can tell, this is NOT a very large growing bamboo, only averaging about five to six feet in height.  It makes a nice "boarder" planting & -- like all bamboo I grow -- is evergreen through out the year; something to appreciate in the dead of Winter.

I acquired this plant in 2006 from LEWIS BAMBOO via mail order back in March, 2006.  I purchased TWO plants at the time & the area we are standing in front of represents the growth since then of just ONE plant.  Like most "running bamboo", the SASA PALMATA is an "aggressive grower" each year & must be "controlled" if it is to remain ... "tamed".  Thankfully this can be done with a lawnmower; cutting down the new growth as it appears in the Spring.  Older growth can be removed/thinned with a "weed eater".

Bamboo -- of all sizes -- plays a major role in the landscaping of my property & I enjoy all of it, from the 50-60 foot "giants", to the smaller sizes, as I have featured today.

4 comments:

  1. What a great photo - of Precious, your "Sasa Palmata" and you. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the privacy it offers. A friend has bamboo ringing his back yard and it blocks nearly all views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it! And it looks like a good place for the cats to hide when it gets hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL -- Much of the bamboo in the mail order business is sold for the effect of privacy, since it does not take long -- for any species of bamboo -- to get thick & block out both noise & "unwanted" neighbor viewing.

    And, "YES" ... this bamboo is a favorite place for hunting/hiding by my cats.

    ReplyDelete