Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

THE WEATHER IS HERE ... WISH YOU WERE BEAUTIFUL

I'm going to try to answer the hundreds of inquiries I've received, questioning the lack of recent posts on this blog & why I have not been more active in writing.  [Okay ... it was only two people.  Both wanting to know if I was "sick ??".  Guess they though they were in my Will.]

The answer is that it is just too hard to sit at a keyboard & type when the weather conditions in central Arkansas have been mostly "ideal". Think temperatures in the low to mid-80's in the daytime & low-60's at night.  Add to that no rain & light breezes each day, under blue, cloudless sky's.  Much too nice outdoors ... to stay indoors.

Having written the above paragraph, I have to acknowledge the terrible conditions not far from here; Texas & Oklahoma, with the destructive winds & fires. (Also in Southwest Arkansas.)  Then much of my old stomping grounds in the Northeast has been inundated with floods from Hurricane Katia & Tropical Storm Lee.  The people up there -- especially from Pennsylvania/New Jersey northward -- have not been able to catch a break. And it will take them a long time to recover & rebuild.

So, blessed with GREAT weather here, I finally tackled a problem of my own: the large tree laying in the South yard which came down in a late-Spring near-tornado.  Not only did the tree come crashing to the earth, but it took with it, two HUGE Bradford Pears & two mature Leyland Cypress trees.  The total definition of ... "a mess".

 Since the effects of the downed & damaged trees were not totally visible from the road, along with the fact that I have been known to procrastinate a bit -- "Never put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after." -- most of the mess has been on the ground through out the Summer. [Another reason not to jump into the clean-up project -- too hot !!]

 With the cooler temperatures, along with the fact that the county "Burn Ban" was removed -- having been in effect part of the Summer, due to our own dry & dangerous conditions -- I was "motivated" to start attacking the mess laying in the side yard.

 Along with the large pieces of tree trunk to be cut up & moved, there were also the limbs of the smaller trees -- many laying under the bigger trees -- which made it necessary to clean-up/cut-up the small debris first, to make the footing safe for my limbs when attacking the large parts of the big trees.

 All of this project -- which is still "on going" -- is time consuming, but somewhat enjoyable.  Much of what is being "cleared", is hauled to the back lot & burned at the fire pit, as I load up the cart & haul it there.

 Many of the larger pieces of trees end up being "stored" in the back lot, for burning later in the Fall.

Looking at these photos & knowing what I still have to cut-up & haul away, it makes me realize why my back & legs are sore most of the time.  Still, I am glad I can take advantage of the nicer weather to get on with this clean-up & I never lose sight of the fact that friends West & Northeast of here, have had their homes, cars & way of life ... destroyed. 

I have it easy & have been blessed. But still:

"THE WEATHER IS HERE.  WISH YOU WERE BEAUTIFUL"  --Jimmy Buffett

2 comments:

  1. I almost wrote to inquire.....but then, I figured you were up to something...and patiently waited. Bout time you got back to work :-) CLR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad about the loss on your beautiful property but your grateful heart shines bright. Take care.

    ReplyDelete