Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

TIME TO BRING THE TORTOISES INSIDE

I admit, I am a true procrastinator.  I will always put off any job or project as long as I have something more inviting or attractive on my "To Do List".  It's the reason the downed tree in the side yard is still only half cut up & removed.  "Never put off until tomorrow ... what you can put off until the day after tomorrow".  (Or ... longer.)

Despite my laziness, the first hints of cooler weather this month do have me aborting my philosophy of inactivity, & making sure to attend to returning my tortoises from their outdoor enclosure, back inside to their Winter/cold weather home.  I don't want these valuable treasures to get a cold -- or worse -- pneumonia from being subjected to temperatures not to their liking (which can be a slow, disturbing death for cold-blooded reptiles).

I have already moved all four tortoises inside.  In fact, this indoor Winter season they will all be sharing a new, much larger home -- mainly due to their continued growth & expanding shell size -- which should benefit them as far as comfort & room, until it is time for them to go outside again next Spring.

Below is a brief description of the steps involved in getting the tortoises moved into their new home.

I purchased a new "cattle tank", one which had a listed measurement of 6 foot x 2 foot x 1 foot tall.  I took a tape measure with me to Tractor Supply, since the space I had for the new tortoise home was exactly six foot long.  I was concerned that there would be too tight a fit if the listed dimensions of the cattle tank were also exactly six foot.  There might not be any "wiggle room" for fitting the tub into the allotted space.

Not to worry.  The "six foot" cattle tank only measures 69 inches.  Plenty of space left to fit the tank onto the shelf.  [I guess those listed measurements constitute "false advertising".  But, the shorted length works just right for my needs.]

The above photo shows the new tank, on the shelf, under the florescent light.

 It's getting crowed in the ... "Turtle & Tortoise Compound".  The new tortoise enclosure is in the back, beyond the turtle "ponds".

 Above:  a close up of the empty tank & the overhanging light fixture.

 I also cut several pieces of wood to form both a shelf -- for placing some plants currently still outdoors, which will also have to come inside for the Winter -- & as a "shelter" where the tortoises can retreat to find a darker, calmer spot, in which to meet their needs of a place to conceal themselves, as they would do in nature.

 Another view of the "hiding area" & the shelf.

Next, I added about two inches of cypress mulch.  This is a good "bedding" which provides footing for the tortoises, holds moisture -- since these are "tropical" tortoises -- as well as being easy to clean & replace as soiled by the tortoises.

 Now ... just add the tortoises -- above -- & plug the light into the timer & everything is on "go".  [Above are the Black Mountain Tortoises.]

Here is a photo of one of the Red Footed Tortoises inspecting the covered area of it's new home.

The tortoises are inside & that's one job off my "To Do List".  Next.

5 comments:

  1. So cool! It's hard to believe it really is cold enough for them to have to come in. We're still hitting 90s around here. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacey --

    I may be a bit ahead of myself this year, but my tortoises are strictly "tropical" -- countries where temperatures are seldom below the 70's -- & we have had nights into the 50's already. I'm not taking any chances. I've got too much invested in my fellas to lose them to some sort of bone-head move on my part. A clear example of "Better safe, than sorry".

    Bill

    ReplyDelete