Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

FEED ME ... BUT MAKE IT HEALTHY FOOD

Now that Fall has arrived & the promise of cooler weather, I'll probably be spending more time inside.  The days will be getting shorter, the temperatures dropping, along with (hopefully) wetter weather conditions, as rain we need badly.  All tend to be inducements to keeping me inside.

One of the major drawbacks to a life indoors is the lack of exercise.  I need it.  The absence of being outdoors -- where at home I am working outside; walking & hauling -- leads to extra pounds on the "waste-line".  AKA -- "Love Handles".

To combat the poorer personal habits, I make the effort to include daily walking -- 2.5 miles -- along with some free weights & sit-ups.  Also, my membership to the North Little Rock Athletic Club has proved to be a lot of fun & very beneficial to me through the past Spring & Summer.  I am counting -- hopefully -- my attendance at the club will be as helpful this Fall/Winter.

Of course, one of the biggest causes for gaining weight is the food intake.  For me, the problem is that I am a poor "planner" of meals & tend to look for food in the pantry/refrigerator when I am hungry, not at specific times.  Also, I want to eat ... right away ... when I am hungry.  No time for waiting on preparing a meal.

There is also the fact I have a deadly sweet tooth.  It's best not to have sugary sweets in the house.  After all, if one cookie tastes good, why not the whole package ??  [I've done it.  I'm not proud, but then, a package of Keebler Fudge Sticks does seem rather small.  I can do those cookies in one or two bites. (I try not to even look at them on the grocery store shelf.)]

So ... one of the ways I satisfy myself & at the same eat "healthy", is to fix food I like, when I feel like doing the "fixing", & keep "leftovers" for additional meals.  Today -- since it was raining & football was on TV ... GO RAIDERS !!! -- I fixed two quiches.  One gets to be the "leftovers" & the other is sectioned & put in the freezer, for later easy thawing -- & quick eating -- via the microwave.

 I made these today with broccoli, onion, & red bell pepper along with turkey sausage.

 The finished product.  I had two slices -- with hot sauce -- for my dinner tonight.  Delicious.

The older I get, it is easier to realize my weaknesses when it comes to food I like.  I also know my poor eating habits.  It's a constant battle, of which some I win & some I loose.

I sure wish those Keebler Elves where here tonight. Well ... maybe not.

1 comment:

  1. We are too much alike - it's scary! THe Quiche looked delish!

    ReplyDelete