Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, May 16, 2010

NEED STITCHES ??

It's been a bit different around here the past few days. On Tuesday, Hilda -- my Mother -- flew in from Florida for her annual Spring visit. I'm used to living alone & keeping my own schedule, so having a house guest -- even my Mother -- is cause for major & minor modifications in my daily activities ... everything from sleep arrangements to eating times & menus.

Spring time in Arkansas is a good time for my Mother to visit. The weather is still somewhat mild, everything is green & fresh when it comes to the landscape -- showing off what a beautiful state Arkansas really is -- & most important ... the mosquito's are only just beginning to make themselves known. [They are real vampires from June till the first frost in the Fall. Their major presence has to be due to all the rice growing fields in this part of the state.]

Hilda, of course, likes her visit here so that she can check up on me, view first hand the changes I may have made to the property & get her hands "dirty" from helping out in the yard. [Hilda is a "Stick-Picker-Upper". Sure helps.]

When I write that I live "alone", it only means no human companionship. My three cats are "companions" in every sense of the word & many times dictate much of the daily activity I am involved with.

I am always concerned with the cat's interaction with my Mother when Hilda visits. In past visits, Wobs has been very skittish of my Mother's presence, as Wobs & Nib's are with most "outsiders" who come here. I'd rather all the cats be suspicious of people ... for the safety of the cats.

THE WOBBLER ... AKA "Wobs"


Nibblets ... AKA "Nibs"


Precious ... AKA "Momma Kitty" ... "Chubs" ... "Lumpy" ... "Baby Momma"

Well, being cats, they fooled both my Mother & me with their reaction to her presence this visit. Rather than keep their distance or run from Hilda as they have in the past, they ALL -- even Wobs -- soon settled in to having my Mother around & quickly figured out there were double chances for lap sitting, ear scratches & tummy rubs.

Hilda, Wobs & Precious

Since both my Mother & me spend quite a bit of time outside, "the girls" have enjoyed the additional company & follow us around the property, or, when we start to settle down & sit in the yard, the cats enjoy the attention they receive from us both.

I'm always concerned about my Mother rushing about & possibility falling. [She is almost 83 years old after all.] I often encourage her to "slow down". With her visit here, I want to be sure she doesn't lose her footing in the yard, like tripping on tree roots, or slipping in the muddy ground.

So ... for all my worry & concerns about my Mother ... it was ME who has suffered an injury !!

Scarface

I'm sleeping on the couch while my Mother is here. About midnight Friday, two of the cats must have gotten into one of their usual "disagreements" in the chair where they were both sleeping , next to the couch. I was asleep when one of them -- don't know who -- bounded off the chair, to the couch, & used my head & face as a launching pad over the back of the couch. It's not a good way to wake up, that's for sure. I was a bloody mess.

My Mother goes back to Florida early Tuesday morning. I have enjoyed having her here & it has been a pleasant surprise to find "the girls" too have related well to Hilda's visit. They truly are my "babies" & I am glad my Mother has seen the cats in the positive way that I enjoy having them in my life.

Well ... at least when one or more of them is not trying to mess with my handsome face.

3 comments:

  1. Well, at least, Hilda is looking Good! Pls tell that Bubba said "Hello". I'm glad you've had a good visit with her. I'm envious.

    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious, too. Great picture of Hilda - nice to "see" her again. As for your face, now that's another story ..... Good thing you were sleeping - that scratch is pretty close to your eye.
    "Weiner"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad kitties. And that's kind of scary, actually.

    ReplyDelete