Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, March 18, 2012

IT'S JUST BAMBOO

This photo, which shows the growth of the first bamboo to come up here on my property this year & which I discussed in my last post, is starting to "slant" as it gets taller.  Normally bamboo grows (mostly) straight up when it emerges from the ground. I have had bamboo where one or more stalks in a flush of bamboo will be ... "off kilter".  I have not seem so many clums all behave this way previously.

Since we have had such an early start to our warm Spring weather this year -- it's still officially Winter on the calender -- it is causing this bamboo to start it's growth cycle early. My theory is that the position of the sun in the sky may have some effect on the posture of the bamboo; as if the clums (stalks) are "reaching" toward a sun, which would normally be higher on the horizon, when the new shoots sprout in the TRUE Spring !!  For now, that's my semi-professional bamboo grower explanation for the "leaning bamboo".

Of course, if at some point I decide I don't care for the look of the curving bamboo -- assuming it will not straighten up, ah, "normally" -- well then, I can always just cut it down & wait for the next seasons growth.  After all ... it's just bamboo.

2 comments:

  1. It’s not just bamboo. It’s BAMBOO. After all the rain in Arkansas, you should have it out the --- (pardon me)--- kazoo! Leaning, straight, it's all beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just starting now with some of the other bamboo species, to send a few "test" nodes peeping through the soil. With MAJOR rain expected in the next two days, I should have quite a bit of new bamboo growth coming up ... unless it drowns in the flooding !!!

    ReplyDelete