Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

2012: A YEAR OF CHANGES

Here it is.  2012 has arrived.  It's a year of changes for me; the major one being I turn 65 in April.  Since it is almost mid-January, that means I'm about 64 & 3/4's ... right now.

This upcoming milestone age would not be too bad if it was just me, my Mother & a few friends who knew I was about to turn 65.  What I can gather from all the mail & phone calls I started receiving last Fall, my upcoming birthday is creating quite a stir & has the attention of many companies & individuals.  They sure are spending a lot of time, effort & money to get my attention & contact me.

I'm keeping all of the mail I've received in several folders in my large file cabinet. [Thanks again, Kelly]  Some of the companies writing me have done so several times. You would think the Postal Service would be running a profit thanks just to me & my address.  It sure makes me feel wanted & important to open up my mail box each day.

The reason for all this mail is because I will be eligible for Medicare come April.  Despite what many politicians want to do with the government run health care program, there is an industry out there wanting to educate me on the different forms of Medicare & -- naturally -- want me to buy their supplement programs (read that "extra insurance) to cover (potential) medical expenses which Medicare does not pay for.

I'm getting mail from companies I have never heard of.  Also, I'm getting mail -- & repeat mail -- from all the "major" insurance companies.  I've even received lots of letters of information & inducement from the company charging me an arm & a leg each month for my current medical insurance. [ The same company which UPPED my premium BEFORE they would pay ANYof my expenses incurred for my heart surgery.  As if I'd ever do business with them again.  One advantage right away of having Medicare will be informing my current health insurance provider I am cancelling them !!]

Since I receive Social Security payments each month, Uncle Sam knows all about me already.  Receiving Medicare at age 65 is automatic.  I didn't have to call any phone numbers ... visit any web sites ... write any letters.  I've already received my Medicare card -- yes, it too came in the mail --& I'm "good to go" & covered by Medicare come April 1st.

Of course, as most of the letters & packages I have been receiving point out; Medicare doesn't pay for everything.  That's were the "Supplement Insurance" comes into play & thus all the interest in me by the various -- & numerous -- insurance companies sending me mail. [I guess Uncle Sam told them too I was coming up on age 65.]

While I will say some -- not all -- of the information I received in this volume of mail has proven very helpful in understanding what Medicare does & doesn't do, & thus what it pays for & doesn't pay for, the companies can stop sending me their mailings. [Got three more letters/cards in today's mail.]  I've already purchased a policy of supplemental insurance to cover the (many) medical items Medicare does not cover. [I won't bother you with those details.  Why spoil all the intrigue my readers will have when their time comes & they try to figure out all the options involved with the different parts of Medicare.  Have fun !!]

Bottom line:  Initially I will save a good amount of money each month just for the Medicare premium.  Add to that, not having the expenses of "deductibles" &/or "co-pays" when I need to visit the doctor, or go to the hospital, will be great. Anything to save money & make life easier.

The above are certainly changes I am looking forward to in 2012.

6 comments:

  1. Ugh! I hate it when they know about me. How did they know I was going to have a baby back in 2006. I started getting stuff for college saving plans and life insurance for my kid. And now they're tracking him too. They know he's five and would like the Highlights mag for kids and such. Weird! Oh, I got him the magazine. He loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Brother is watching ALL of us. Don't fight it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy it now -- later it gets worse. Every funeral home will offer you burial insurance . . for YOU. (How irritating for my husband - at age 69, he gets something every week!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an angle I had not (yet) considered. I got MORE Medicare mail yesterday -- at BOTH my home & P.O. Box -- so I guess they think I am healthy for now. When they "switch" to the funeral info ... I'll start hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a solicitation yesterday from Mutual of Omaha offering a lot of free information but they want my telephone number, etc. I don't want anyone (except you, of course) phoning me about supplemental insurance, etc. I hope I don't get covered up with these offers. I may stick with AARP and United Healthcare since they sent me stuff first. Earl P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bubba -- I never responded to ANY of the cards/letters I received ... & CONTINUE TO RECEIVE !! [Got two more yesterday.] Get ready. You'll be receiving mail from companies you have never heard from.

    ReplyDelete