Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Friday, December 30, 2011

BETTER THAN A GIRLFRIEND

This will will probably be my last blog posting for 2011. With year 2012 only a few hours away, I end this year, not with resolutions, but reflections of many years ago.

My memories of life are that I have always been somewhat of a "nester" when it comes to where I lived.  In my youth -- at least through the end of high school -- my family lived the majority of the time in only two places: Rochester, New York & then in Honeoye, New York.  Always in the same house in each town.  No moving.  "Nested". 

I went off to college & spent two years in Utica, New York.  I lived in an apartment & later in an on-campus dormitory.  I guess -- living in two places in two years -- would be my "non-nesting" phase.  It didn't stick.

In 1967 I ventured down to Memphis, Tennessee.  The main reason was to continue my education, but the secondary -- & also important reason -- was to keep my "deferment" from the then military draft.  There was the very unpopular Vietnam War on-going at the time & being in college kept me out of the hands of Uncle Sam.

Two moves later -- to apartments, along with a "wife" who was soon gone -- had me again "nesting" throughout my 29+ years in Tennessee. The apartment stretched for 11 years & the condo which followed, was 17 years. True "nesting".

Now I am 15+ years living in Arkansas.  It will officially be 16 years at this location come September, 2012.  Again, once I "move" ... I then stay put.  "Nested".

I was never a "job hopper" either.  I stayed with Maybelline for almost 34 years & another two & a half years with Caboodles Cosmetics. I like things to be familiar, comfortable & manageable.  My job & my home.

Since 1969 -- which is as best I can figure/remember -- one thing has followed me & been with me.  It's the large "desk" in my home office. [Actually it's not really a desk.  More like a library table.]  I bought it at a used office furniture store in downtown Memphis for $20.00.  It was money well spent.  I've certainly got my value out of it.

The desk is six foot long & almost three feet wide.  It has a good amount of surface space for all kinds of projects & writing, as well as a large area to share with cats & several hundred pens & markers.

I should note that I was once "forced" to give the desk away to a co-worker.  I was on the losing end of a relationship where my wife had better uses for "the space" the desk occupied in our apartment. Luckily for me, I got rid of the wife & the new owner of the desk, got rid of a husband.  I jumped at the chance to get the desk back. [See.  Good things do happen when couples split up. (I hope Katy Perry is reading this.  Call me !!)]

Somehow this one piece of furniture has been with me for the past 43 years.  Not too many other objects -- or even people (well ... maybe Weiner counts for "time served") -- have been with me all this time.  It's a bit strange to reflect on the fact, but to the credit of the desk, it has stood firm & fast & provided me daily support whenever I have needed it. I've been in relationships which didn't even come close to all those attributes.  The desk is BETTER than a girlfriend !!

5 comments:

  1. It's a lovely desk, that's for sure. Do you really think Katy would like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. William is also very comfortable and "nested" with his old Dodge pickup truck. He bought it when he moved to Arkansas in 1996. I wouldn't bet that he trades it anytime soon.

    Earl P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only would Katy like the desk ... I'm sure the Red Ram would go over well with her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wood-lover that I am, the desk is obviously the better choice! You have great style.

    ReplyDelete