Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, October 8, 2011

WE ALL EAT WELL

The weather in central Arkansas has just been ideal; sunny days with low humidity, gentle breezes & temperatures in the low to mid-80's.  It's the kind of weather most people would wish for year round.  I do.

This balmy weather makes me keep thinking I brought the tortoises inside too soon.  I could have taken advantage of the weather to keep them outside for an extra week or two. Although I have a good set-up for the tortoises inside, keeping most animals outside -- weather permitting -- is usually best. 

In reality, it's just as well I have the tortoises all inside now.  The nights can get cool, despite the much admired daytime conditions.  I still have a lot of plants to bring inside for the Winter. Having moved the tortoises inside now, is just one project I will not have to do later, which is usually at the last possible minute, right after some weather forecast predicts temperatures falling into the 30's.

Once brought inside this year -- into their NEW enclosure, which I have previously written about -- I quickly realized the need for multiple feeding stations.  The tortoises have all gown so well & gained such good size, that one or two animals can easily block their cage-mates from getting to the food offered at a single location.  Good "table manners" are not practiced in the reptile world.

 I now feed the tortoises -- as shown above -- on two separate plates.  Also, the plates are spaced well apart for each other, giving everyone a  fair chance to chow down.

 The above photo shows the Black Mountain Tortoises being joined at the "salad bar" by a Central American Wood Turtle.

 On the other side of the enclosure, the two Red Footed Tortoises are mowing down the greens.

In another container, in another part of the compound, I have two small (3") Cherry Headed Red Foot Tortoises. [Similar, but more colorful, compared to "regular" Red foots.]  Due to size & space, these little guys have no problems sharing their food supply.  However, in a few years, as they get bigger, there will certainly be "issues" at feeding times.

When it comes to MY FOOD ... the above photo shows the "goodies" my Mother sent me when she got back from her most recent trip to England. [Note: The homemade cookies on the left & the "Allsorts" candy in the top right, are no longer ... ah ... around.]  Along with the small bird magnet & some literature of places she visited in England, there is a candy -- still "available" in the house, but for how long, it is not known -- called "Eclairs" & some cookies with the foreboding name of ... "Digestive Biscuits".  [Leave it up to the British to think that's a mouth-watering name for a cookie.  Who did the market research on that name ??]

The weather is fine in central Arkansas.  And everyone is eating well.

7 comments:

  1. They are all maginificent creatures but the Central American Wood Turtle has such great patterns of colors.

    All this talk about food, I'm headed for the kitchen! (What a mom! Bet her cookies are the best in the lot.) How long will that stash last, or did you eat it already?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that is left are the Eclairs -- which I started on last night -- & those strange named cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig the "salad bar"!

    Saw a small turtle on the side of the road the other day and because of the traffic I helped him cross it and into some woods. If I hadn't helped him he was surely been flattened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel sad at the number of "turtle pancakes" I see on the local roads. About 90% of the time, the turtles -- which too often "freeze" in the middle of the road due to on coming traffic -- can be avoided. When I see the remains in the road, my thoughts go to: "Stupid turtle ... or ... stupid driver??"

    ReplyDelete