Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Sunday, June 9, 2013

BAMBOO DAMAGES CONTINUE

 
 
Maybe the best way to start off this posting is to explain why it has been so long since I last added to my blog. More than just a lack of effort on my part, it is the direct result of how -- & to who -- I am directing my thoughts & feelings now days.
 
The reason for my lack of blog publishing is simple:  FACEBOOK.
 
My Facebook "friends" -- numbering less than a hundred partners -- are all current friends, one time co-workers, &/or former school chums.  All these people had -- or have -- some form of "relationship" with me. I know them.  They know me.
 
My postings on Facebook are accompanied by at least one photo -- sometimes more -- & are quick & easy to produce.  I wish the blog was as easy to transcribe on.
 
With my blog, the information & writings are shared with ... well, everyone, everywhere. [Just look at the flag counter to see the various countries reading my pages.]  A lot of readers who I have no knowledge of & never will.
 
So ... bottom line, the Facebook postings have been quicker, with an intended & known audience & thus more frequent. 
 
I will continue my blog writings ... hopefully with enough interesting reading material for ... "everyone".
 
Now ... back to this blog posting.
 
My previous entry was regarding the damages on my property as the result of the MAJOR snow & ice storm in Central Arkansas at Christmas. I spent much of the past wet, cold Spring cutting, hauling & in many cases, burning the bamboo which split/broke due to the weight of the Christmas snow storm.
 
About the time I was getting a handle on the clearing process -- I still have one more LARGE pile of cut bamboo to be dealt with -- a Spring-time storm of straight-line winds, caused new havoc on my bamboo groves.  In this case, the damage was to new, tender bamboo growth ... that which was growing to replace much of the bamboo previously destroyed.
 

The photo above shows the current bamboo being removed.  The uniform green color is an indicator that each clum is NEW, un-seasoned bamboo growth.  The wood had not yet hardened & was thus at the mercy of the high winds.  It will be next year, before the bamboo grove will again attempt to replenish & replace itself.

I enjoy growing my bamboo & love the look it features to my property. Controlling the growth is sometimes an issue, but his year, it was been a major project to keep up with the damages to my bamboo.




1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are enjoying facebook. I will look for you there! Don't over do it!!!Oh, and--what Spring? At this rate we will miss Summer, too. Good to hear from you. Melissa

    ReplyDelete