Bamboo as it should be -- HUGE !!

Saturday, May 5, 2012

MORE COLOR CHANGES IN BAMBOO

I wrote about one of my favorite bamboos back on March the 21st of this year -- Phyllostochys Viridis 'Robert Young'. [Quick reminder: Many bamboos in cultivation do not have "common names".  In the case of this bamboo, the name is a combination of Latin & a former bamboo scientist being honored.]

This bamboo is a large grower.  I have some now reaching about 40 feet in height & thick enough for it to give my combined hands difficulty to encircle.  It matures at a bright yellow color, with many sections having a green vertical stripe.

 In the Spring growing season -- just now coming to a close in my gardens -- bamboo 'Robert Young' provides me with some of the prettiest contrast of color.  This is a bamboo which under goes a color change in it's first year of any new growth.  As seen in these photos, the emerging new clums are a very delicate, lime green in color. 

The new shoots will -- over the Summer -- begin changing to their permanent yellow color.  This is one bamboo I wish would remain it's Spring time color.

I have never seen any species of bamboo which retains this early growth, lime green color.  Perhaps someday, some scientist will develop, through cross-breeding bamboo, a species which will permanently grace our bamboo gardens with this fine lime green color ... all year round.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bill, I'm just a bit South of Fort Smith. Do you sell or give away any bamboo? I really like yours, very well maintained and looks healthy! Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie -- Thanks for the feed back. Enjoy the show; past tense & what I still have to "share" in the future. The bamboo is grown for my pleasure, not profit. I fell in love with the plant years ago in South America & include it now in my landscaping for it's color, size & uniqueness on the property.

    ReplyDelete